Animated Alphabets, part 3

16th October

Today was the day I filmed my first letters, letters ‘A’ to ‘E’. As it was only a test to see how the letter would look I filmed it on my phone, using bluetack instead of my originally proposed, glue. Although I only used bluetack for the test I may actually use it in the final video because it won’t affect the surface I put it on. I can still hide the bluetack if I use small amounts.

Below is the atempt at ‘B’ and ‘D’.

 

Animated Alphabets, part 2

Our lesson on the 9th October was more of a workshop to develop our ideas and work on what we would be doing. I made some more detailed sketches of the shape I would be using and how removing certain matches would work.

Here are the designs I did.

Over the past few days, I have been thinking to add another 4 matchsticks so that some of the letters don’t look so similar. In this design on the left, the letters, ‘D’ and ‘O’ look identical and ‘V’ just looks odd.

On the left is the new design of the shape, with this, I can have more angles to show the letter with. This week I plan to film a few letters, even if it’s just with my phone, to see how it looks.

I have also been thinking about when I will be putting the letters together to show the phrase, “Program, or be programmed”, and I had the idea that whichever music I choose it will have some kind of beat to it and the letter will appear as at random to form the sentence.

 

 

Animated Alphabets, the brief

On 2nd October was our first seminar of the year and the start of our first module. There will be 2 briefs throughout this module.

The first brief is to create an animated alphabet, of our own design. This means that each letter will need to be filmed being created, destroyed, moved around etc. and then after the whole alphabet is done, we will use those letters to write the phrase, “Program, or be Programmed” which is the title of a book by Douglas Rushkoff.

 

Whilst being told about the brief I sketched down a few ideas of different things I could do. First I had the idea of a revolving cube which had different parts of
different letters on each side so depending on what angle you looked at the cube you would see a different letter. While this idea seemed really interesting, getting halves and quarters of different letters would have been extremely difficult and potentially taken more time than I actually have.

After that I thought about swinging a stencil of each letter across a wall, then when it reached the middle the stencil would carry on but the letter from inside the stencil would stay in the air.

 

 

As was sketching out that idea I had another idea involving individual lines that all start or the same and all contain every letter of the alphabet, and I already liked this idea better so I left the previous one in the sketch book. I had several ideas on what to use for the sticks, matchsticks were the most obvious, but I could have used thin wooden sticks or thin poles of metal.

I have gone through each letter of the alphabet to make sure that I can actually make them all out of the shape I’m using.

After that, I needed to decide how the sticks would be removed to show the letter. First I had ideas to just use my finger to pull away each stick individually. I realised that this would be a very long video per letter, even if I made it appear as a stop-motion, by removing frames. Speeding it up may look a bit odd too. My second idea was to glue down the ones I need for the letter and blow at the shape. Then all the ones that were not glued down would be removed, leaving the letter.

After mentioning my idea to a few people it was suggested that I could dowse the sticks needed for the letter in water and then set them all on fire. That way, the sticks would burn away and the letter would be left.

With a bit more thinking and sketches, I settled on the second idea, glueing certain sticks to the ground and blowing the rest away.